COMM. 406– NUTRITION AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH:-
- Understand the role of nutrition in health and diseases.
- Appreciate the ecology of nutrition
- Identify the Epidemiology of common nutritional diseases in Nigeria
- Know the nutrient content of the common sources of food and the food legislations in Nigeria
The course describes the different ways by which nutrients either macronutrient or micronutrients cause disease and disability in man and develops the means whereby these effects may be prevented or controlled.
The main thrust will therefore be placed on the different food sources, their assessment and control of these nutrient agents that have consequences on the health of man.
- Nutrition and Health
- Food and nutrition situation in developing countries
- Source of food in Nigeria and their nutrient contents
- Nutritional requirement and there relation to health and diseases
- Factors affecting the availability, and intake of food and utilization of nutrients
- Infection and nutrition
- Epidemiology and control of common nutritional problems in Nigeria
- Food policy, hygiene and toxicology
- Assessment of nutritional status
- Nutritional education
- Community nutrition programme
- Occupational Health
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand the scope, functions and organization of an occupational health service.
- Identify the common occupational disease and their control strategies.
- Identify the occupational hazards common in Industries in Nigeria.
- Gain some insight into health legislation in Nigeria.
Description of the Course:
Occupational Health which is define as the sum total of all activities and or programmes that are engages upon with the aim of attaining and maintaining the highest level of health and safety for all people who are engaged in any type of work whatever. This is achieved through disease prevention, safety assurance and genera health promotion.
The course highlights the relationship between man and his work, the effect of work on his health, the effect of health on his work among others.
- Introduction of occupational health comprising
- Historical development of Occupational Health
- Problems and needs of Occupational Health in developing countries
- Interaction between work and health (both positive and negative)
- Components of work environment and their influence on health
- Scope and organization of occupational health service
- Factors influencing the development of Occupational Health Services
- Types of occupational health service for the different classes of industries
- General principles of hazard control and prevention in occupational health practices
- Occupational hazards of some selected industries including Agricultural workers
- Occupational lung disease
- Occupational health legislations in Nigeria