COMM. 604– STUDENT’S PROJECT:-
The students undertake the course in their final year. It introduce the students to basic community based research with emphasis on epidemiological, environmental demographic and nutritional aspect of disease and other health related phenomenon.
The emphasis is on finding solutions to community based health and disease problems. The key elements of the basic research are:
- Introduction: Start by defining the magnitude of the problem, formulating the hypothesis and relevant study objectives which will guide the researcher in meeting the purpose of the study.
- Materials and method: This involves stating clearly the method of data collection, the study population, sample size determination and the tools to be used for data collection, it also involves stating the time frame for the research, problems and limitations of the study.
- Results: Should be presented using table graphs, charts photographs etc.
- Data analysis by selecting the most appropriate statistical procedures.
- Discussions on the findings
- Final report writing
At the end of the project write-up and presentations, the students should be able to:
- Collect, collate analyzed and interpret epidemiological findings and their effect on health and disease.
- Correlate effects of disease prevalence with environmental/demographic parameters.
- Draw conclusions that are essential in militating against health/disease problems in the community.
Med. Microbiology General Microbiology, Introduction to Microbiology, General classification, Physiology, Reproduction and Metabolism of Micro-Organisms, Bacterial Genetics, Parasitology, Systematic Clinical Microbiology, Infections of skin, breast, umbilicus, bones, muscles and subcutaneous tissues including hair and nails, infections of the respiratory tract, Infections of the genital tract, eye and joints, Infections of the gastrointestinal tract, Urinary tract and General Infections.