Epidemiology unit located in the ABUTH, Shika Zaria had the main objective of training under graduate and postgraduate students in community medicine, surveillance of communicable diseases within and outside the hospital and study of home environments for the study of natural history of diseases. The main activities include:
- Collection of morbidity data from male and female medical wards and EPU (Emergency Paediatrics Unit) and Paediatrics wards.
- Collection of death records from daily and weekly statements.
- Collection of data from the medical records in respect of morbidity and mortality in ABU Teaching Hospital, Zaria.
- Visits to health institutions around the hospital to collect information on their functional activities.
- Preparation of weekly and monthly reports on selected communicable diseases.
- Preparation of yearly reports.