Services from inception to 1977
- Sabon Gari Comprehensive Health Centre
- TB Clinic at Kaduna and Malumfashi and Nutrition Clinic in Malumfashi.
- School Health Clinics at Malumfashi and Kafur
- Dental Clinic at Malumfashi
- Leprosy Clinic at Samaru.
Services from 1977 to date
- Sabon Gari Comprehensive Health Centre (CHC), comprising of GOPD (General Outpatient Department), CWC (Child Welfare Clinic), ANC (Antenatal Care), Nutrition and Outreach community-based services.
- Yakawada CHC – started 1988 and provides services similar to Sabon Gari
- Clinic 3 – based at ABUTH – Shika offers child welfare services and occupational health services and other immunization services.
Comprehensive Health Centres
The department currently runs two Comprehensive Health Centres (CHC): Sabon Gari CHC in the commercial centre of Zaria and Yakawada CHC a rural settlement about 30 km North West of Zaria. The two centres provide a range of primary health care services on daily basis, on 24 hours. It does not admit patients but has observation room for stabilization before referral. They provide a wide range of preventive services to the communities they serve: Immunization, antenatal care, post natal care, family planning service, growth monitoring and nutrition clinics. The centres include a practice based for undergraduates, CHO and postgraduate students as well as residents doctors from the department and others talking primary health care posting. These centres are involved in outreach services to the rural settlements around them. For example, for Sabon Gari CHC we have Hayin Ojo community. In this community, TBAs were trained, community members were trained on growth monitoring and adequate nutrition including exclusive breastfeeding practices. For the Yakawada CHC, we have Tashar Shari which is the model community in nutrition (with support from UNICEF, Kaduna Field Office) and other neighbouring villages. In Tashar Shari TBAs were also trained, adult literacy classes established, community based growth monitoring and nutrition activities established as well as activities for empowering the community. Of recent, an Institute of Child Health was established in Banzazzau close to the former teaching hospital in Tudun Wada. The department in collaboration with the department of Paediatrics run the centre.
Occupational Health Clinic
The department has started running the staff clinic (occupational health clinic) in the permanent site in March 2007.